Hello, Science! + reading

The Elements of Statistical Learning

The Elements of Statistical Learning is an absolute classic for anyone wanting to do statistics/machine learning/data mining. I read that the second edition was out and debating whether I should spend the money on this new edition. Via John Cook I learned that the book is out on pdf (from their website). DOUBLE WIN: a) I’ve already paid once and get the upgrade for free, b) I know have a way to electronically search the book.

I also found out today that Koller and Friedman have just released their much anticipated book Probabilistic Graphical Models from MIT press. At a lengthy 1208 pages, this should provide enough reading for a few nights!

Books, Idea, Info, money, and more:

The Elements of Statistical Learning + reading